Archive for the ‘House’ Category

Quarantine Food Trucks

Thursday, April 30th, 2020

Since we are supposedly quarantined, we are having various food trucks come into the neighborhood.  Two weeks ago, someone grabbed the ice cream man and suggested he come through.  The ice cream was great!

Last weekend, we had Kona ice come through. Another great choice.

Tonight, I scheduled a local Mexican restaurant to park their food trailer in the neighborhood.  It was only the restaurants 4th event but they made a ton of money and it was great to grab a plate without going far!

And on evenings when there are no food trucks, there is always the fire pit!

Quarantine Firepit

Saturday, April 4th, 2020

Our life has really slowed down due to COVID-19. Since we don’t have anything to do or anywhere to be, we had scores in the driveway this evening!

2018 Neighborhood Picnic

Saturday, September 15th, 2018

This evening, our neighborhood had its annual picnic. Being a member of the HOA board of directors, we always have to shift our schedules to attend. It was nice to meet new neighbors and the kids always have a great time.

Farewell Snickers

Thursday, June 21st, 2018

Last night, I said one of the hardest goodbyes. My 14 year old cat Snickers crossed over the rainbow bridge.

Shortly after Kimberlie and I were married, we wanted to get a cat. But, Kimberlie heard horror stories about how a cat might try to get milk from a sleeping baby’s mouth and suffocate them in the process. So, we decided to wait until Tristan was at least six months old.  In August, 2004, we decided to look for a kitten. I found a listing for free kittens and called the lady and we headed over to her house.  There was a litter of several kittens who had been born on July 4. Kimberlie bonded with one in particular and we took him home and named him Smickers.

Kimberlie may have picked him out, but he instantly became my cat. He never left my side.  For 14 years, he has watched me shower and then batted at (or chewed) my shoestrings every morning as I put on my shoes.  We haven’t been able to leave food on the counter because he considered it free game. Whenever I would cook bacon, I would have to hide the plate of bacon on top of the refrigerator.  Every evening when I watched the news, he would lay on my chest. Every night, he would sleep by my side.

One of his favorite things to do was go outside on the screened porch or even roam around the backyard as we swam.  He would eat up the weeds and then puke them out all over the floor.

Back in March, I had one of the scariest moments of my life. We were scrambling to get Mackenzie to a soccer game in Savannah. We were gone for about 15 hours and when we got home, I wasn’t welcomed by the cat who always welcomed me. I became concerned and we tore the house apart looking for him. It became apparent that he had gotten outside that morning as we were loading the car. I was heartbroken. While the rest of the family went outside to search, I jumped on Facebook and posted a help message to the neighborhood facebook. Someone responded quickly that they saw some boys tormenting an orange cat at the corner a few hours earlier and he ran into the rose bushes. I ran down to the corner, even through it was pitch dark and found him scared to death under those roses.  I was so happy to have him home.

A couple of months ago, we noticed he wasn’t grooming as well as he normally did. He usually took great pride in his appearance. Later, he started to lose weight. After we noticed a little foaming at the mouth, we took him to the vet and they thought it might be an auto-immune disease causing sores in his mouth. They gave him some shots and we hoped things would be fine.  Two weeks ago, when things had not improved, we returned to the vet. He had lost about 2/3 of his weight. They sedated him and looked into his mouth and realized there was a large tumor growing on the back of his tongue. There was nothing they could do but put him on pallative care to keep him comfortable. we fed him liquid food but even that was a challenge for him. Over the weekend he stopped eating and drinking and I spent as much time with him as possible, knowing each cuddle could be my last.  Yesterday, when I got home from work, it was apparent that the end was near. I was able to hold him one more time. About 30 minutes after being home, he crossed over the rainbow bridge with Kimberlie and I by his side.

I know things will get easier, but there is a huge void in my both my heart and my life.  Snickers was the most loyal friend I ever had.  He’s been with me longer than both of my daughters. I love that stupid cat.

Kimberlie, Snickers, and Tristan 12 years apart.

He was part of every birthday:

Rilianne especially loved him since they were almost the same size.

Sunset on Summer

Saturday, July 29th, 2017

The kids are enjoying the last weekend of summer before school starts back.

Finally a Fire!

Wednesday, February 1st, 2017

At our old house, we had a fireplace that we never used. When the people who bought it were having it inspected, the inspector noted that it was in perfect condition and looked like it had never been used.

Here are the new house, we haven’t used the fireplace either. Until now.  Earlier this week I stopped by the propane company and set up a tank delivery.

An tonight, the first fire we’ve had together!

Drone in the Neighbor’s Tree

Wednesday, January 25th, 2017

Tristan and I continued to enjoy his new drone . . .

Until my flying combined with the wind got it stuck about 80 feet up in the neighbor’s tree.

We have friends in high places who sent the fire department to try to shoot it down with a high pressure hose, but that didn’t work out.

Finally, some inclement weather brought the drone down. Here is a photo I took from the drone while it was in the tree. You can see the neighbor’s roof, my roof, and my pool.

Running Mileage and Other Data

Saturday, December 31st, 2016

I ran across a program that takes all of my data out of Garmin Connect and overlays it on a Google Map.

Here is a visual of all of the paths I’ve taken since we’ve moved into our neighborhood (Memorial Day Weekend 2013). I still have some streets and neighborhoods to check out!


Zooming out a bit to show how far some of my longer runs have been:


Here is a view of all of the running paths I’ve traversed in Warner Robins. The ones discontiguous to my neighborhood were races. You can clearly see my run(s) on Robins Air Force Base where I’ve ran quite a few Museum of Aviation Half Marathons.


Here are my runs zoomed out a bit more. You can see where I’ve run races around central Georgia:


Here are the paths I’ve taken at Walt Disney World during marathon weekends:


And here are the two Disneyland races I’ve run:


Here is the path Mackenzie and I took last October in Washington D.C.:


And here are the two runs earlier this year in Chicago:


This year has been my worst running year since I started.  You can see that in my mileage charts below. I ran about 10 miles in July!

Although 2016 was a bad year for a number of reasons, I have nobody to blame for my running setbacks but myself. I have become addicted to the wrong foods, lazy and fat. I weigh more than ever. Next week’s Dopey Challenge is going to be my toughest yet. I’m committed to doing better in 2017. I decided to start streaking again, running at least 5K per day every day. This morning’s run was day 10.

2017 is going to be my year. Happy New Year!

Halloween 2016

Monday, October 31st, 2016

Our neighborhood is the perfect place to be on Halloween evening. It’s like a storybook neighborhood.  And, its my favorite holiday of the year!




This is how busy our street is on Halloween!





Neighborhood Picnic

Sunday, September 25th, 2016

Of course it was Saturday yesterday. As I mentioned, I drove back from Walt Disney World and then to Newnan for a soccer game. But that can’t possibly be all that we schedule in a single day.

We also had a neighborhood picnic scheduled. My attendance was pretty necessary because I’m on the Homeowners Association Board. I don’t really talk about the drama that ensues on this blog, but I was elected to the position about 18 months ago. Since I was out of town and unable to help set up, it was necessary for me to attend and help with the clean up.

Rilianne enjoyed the inflatables and the dogs.

And we all liked the food!